Motorcycle Warranties South Africa – Inclusions Discussed
“A motorcycle warranty is a contract between the owner of a motorcycle and the manufacturer or a third party that promises to pay for repairs for a predetermined length of time or mileage. For motorcycles, you have two different options when you decided to purchase your vehicle.
- Manufacturer’s warranty.
The original warranty that is included with the purchase of a new motorcycle.
- Extended warranty.
An additional protection plan that kicks in once the original manufacturer’s warranty has expired – also offered through the manufacturer in most cases.”
- Manufacturer’s Motorcycle Warranty
“Most motorcycles include a manufacturer’s warranty at the time of sale that does not require a separate purchase. These warranties often cover your motorcycle with fender-to-fender coverage.
Like all warranties, the owner of the motorcycle is responsible for adhering to the terms and conditions to keep the warranty from becoming void. General exclusions from most warranties include failures that are caused by:
- Competition or racing.
- Installing parts that are not equivalent to the original manufacture’s parts.
- Any neglect of the vehicle caused by the owner.
- Failure to conduct scheduled maintenance as required by the owner’s manual.
- Damage caused by an accident or collision.
- Modification to original parts that directly causes a breakdown of other vehicle components.
- Malfunction which results from environmental damage.”
- Extended Motorcycle Warranties
“Similar to a car or truck you can obtain an extended warranty for a motorcycle. Many manufacturers offer these extended contracts otherwise known as extended protection plans through licensed dealerships, which can provide additional coverage after the manufacturer’s warranty has expired.
Like all related contracts, extended motorcycle warranties purchased through a dealership require separate payment from the vehicle sale. This purchase can either be included in the loan for the vehicle or paid in a separate transaction.
As with manufacturer’s warranties, most extended warranties require the owner to abide by the terms and conditions to keep the warranty contract from becoming void. Prices will vary according to the manufacturer and model.”